Tatung Electric Rice Cooker and Steamer, Small (6-cup Stainless Steel), Red
大同6人份不鏽鋼電鍋 - 紅色
This red 6-cup Tatung Steamer is available in the US exclusively through Yun Hai, an official Tatung distributor.
It’s a wonderful size for a small family or a small apartment. Use it to make rice (and oatmeal!), steam buns and baozi, braise tea eggs, prepare soups and stews, and even reheat leftovers. It can cook up to 6 cups of rice, which will feed 6 people or 3 cyclists after a race. It does all the things the larger 11-cup can do, but on a smaller scale.
Yun Hai has partnered with Tatung Company to bring the original pea green and vermillion red colors to the US, invoking fond memories of many a happy childhood meal.
Taiwan and its Steam CookerThe Tatung Electric Rice Cooker and Steamer is an essential Taiwanese appliance that has been in production for over 60 years. It is beloved for its simplicity, versatility, and durability. Though known primarily as a rice cooker, it's actually a double boiler and steamer. Use it to gently cook braises and stews, steam breads and buns, and reheat leftovers. A simple and flexible cooker with many applications, the Tatung Rice Cooker and Steamer is an icon of classic Taiwanese design and daily life.
Read more about the history of this appliance in this installment of our newsletter: Taiwan and its Steam Cooker.
What’s In the Box
Each rice cooker comes with:
- the stainless steel appliance (aka the outer pot)
- a stainless steel inner pot
- a stainless steel inner pot lid, for keeping contents warm after cooking
- a measuring cup (aka rice cup), which holds 180 ml (different than a US cup measure)
- a steaming insert, for elevating anything you want to steam above the level of the water
- a rice spatula, perfectly sized
- the original Tatung manual
- a free digital download of the Yun Hai Tatung Family Cookbook
BundlesEach purchase includes a digital download of our cookbook, which will be emailed after checkout. Additionally, we are offering several accessory bundles to best suit your kitchen. We strongly recommend either the Steamer Tongs or the Bowl Clip for a better steaming experience. They provide an easy way to remove hot dishes from the steamer.
- Rice Cooker Only
- Rice Cooker with Cookbook
- Basic Set: Rice Cooker with Cookbook and Steamer Tongs
- Full Set: Rice Cooker with Cookbook, Steamer Tongs, Bowl Clip, and Upper Pot
FAQQ: How is this different from the 11-cup steamer?
A: It’s a smaller size that has the same functionality, but fits less. For example, instead of using a whole fish for steamed fish, you might need to use a fillet. It’s a great size for an individual who loves to cook, a couple, or a small family. Or, if you want to save on counter space.
Specifications and DimensionsModel No. TAC-06IN-R
Voltage: 120V 60Hz
10.8” L x 10.8” W x 10.9” H
27.3 cm x 27.3 cm x 27.6 cm
12” L x 9.8” W x 9.8” H
30.5 cm x 24.8 cm x 24.8 cm